↑ Return to ABOUT US

History

St Mary Magdalen Parish

(Office for clustered parishes of St Mary Magdalen, Melvindale and Ss. Andrew and Benedict, SW Detroit)

19624 Wood St
Melvindale, MI 48122
Phone: (313) 381-8566 Fax: (313) 381-1319

BREIF HISTORY

1929  – Groundbreaking for a combination church and school consisting of four classrooms for eight grades and a church on the ground level began. The first mass was celebrated on October 2, 1929. At this time the parish consisted of approximately 200 families

1948 – Land across from the school was purchased to construct a new auditorium and parish hall

1954 – Construction of a new Church and Rectory begins with the first mass celebrated in November of 1955

1966 – Parish athletic field was dedicated to Reverend Raymond Buhl in appreciation for his 20 years as pastor at St. Mary Magdalen

1995 – Parish became home to St. Thomas India Catholic Mission

2012 – Clustered with Ss. Andrew and Benedict parish in SW Detroit

SS Andrew and Benedict Parish

2430 S. Beatrice
Detroit, MI 48217
313-381-1184

BRIEF HISTORY

1924 – By permission of Bishop Michael C. Gallagher, a meeting was held for the purpose of organizing a parish for Slovak Catholics living on the West side of Detroit.  SS. Andrew and Benedict were chosen as the patrons of the parish.

1930 – Fr. Gaza offered the first Mass at the new church.

1950’s – Begun as a Slovak church, the parish welcomed African-Americans and other various nationalities and became a true model for an integrated worshiping community.

1992 – SS Andrew and Benedict Church and the nearby All Saints Church formed the first cluster in the Archdiocese of Detroit.  The parishes were de-clustered in January 2009.

2012 – Clustered with St Mary Magdalen parish in Melvindale

 

Historia

Parroquia St Mary Magdalen

(Oficina de las dos parroquias:  St Mary Magdalen, Melvindale y Ss. Andrew and Benedict, SW Detroit)

19624 Wood St

Melvindale, MI 48122

Tel: (313) 381-8566 Fax: (313) 381-1319

BREVE HISTORIA

1929  – Inicio la innovación para combinar iglesia y escuela  consistente de cuatro salones de clase para ocho grados, y del edificio de la iglesia de un nivel. La primera misa fue celebrada el 2 de octubre de

1929. Durante este tiempo la parroquia  consistía de aproximadamente  200 familias

1948 – El terreno al  cruzar la calle de la escuela fue comprado para la construcción del nuevo auditorio y el salón  parroquial

1954 – Comenzó la construcción de la nueva Iglesia y Rectoría con la primer Misa Celebrada en noviembre del 1955

1966 – El campo deportivo de la Parroquia fue dedicado en apreciación del padre Raymond Buhl por sus 20 años como párroco de  St. Mary Magdalen

1995 – La parroquia empezó a ser el hogar de la Misión Católica India de Sto. Tomas

2012 – Se unió con la Parroquia de Ss. Andrew and Benedict en SW Detroit

 

Parroquia SS Andrew and Benedict

2430 S. Beatrice

Detroit, MI 48217

313-381-1184

BREVE HISTORIA

1924 – Con el permiso del Obispo Michael C. Gallagher, se organizó una junta con el objetivo de crear una parroquia para la comunidad Católica Eslava que residía en el Oeste de Detroit.  SS. Andrew and Benedict fueron elegidos como los Santos patronos de la parroquia.

1930 – El P. Gaza ofreció la primer Misa en la nueva Iglesia. 1950’s – Inicio como una iglesia Eslava, más tarde la parroquia le dio la bienvenida a  African-Americans de varias nacionalidades abriéndose  paso como una parroquia  con un modelo real de comunidad integrada en el culto.

1992 – La Parroquia de SS Andrew and Benedict Church y la parroquia vecina de  All Saints Church fueron las primer parroquias unificadas en la Arquidiócesis de Detroit. Después, en enero del 2009 las parroquias  volvieron a ser independientes.

2012 – Se unió con la Parroquia de St Mary Magdalen en Melvindale